RUSHES SOHO SHORTS FESTIVAL IS OPEN NOW…
Rushes Soho Shorts Festival starts tonight with the London Premiere of “The Kid” the new feature film by Nick Moran, starring Rupert Friend, Ioan Gruffudd, Jodie Whittaker and Natascha McElhone. “The Kid” is a moving depiction of a young man’s escape from his brutal upbringing, to his emergence as a bestselling author of crime fiction.
RSSF, will be running over 10 days with a wide range of events, screenings and guest programmes; 90% of which are free to attend. The Official Competition of the festival is hosting 170 new films from 23 countries in 8 categories with daily screenings at The Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA). The Awards Ceremony will be held on Thursday 29th July 2010.
The competition films include actors such as Robert Pattinson, Ian McKellen, and Jenny Agutter; and music videos from Eminem and Plan B to Laura Marling and Franz Ferdinand. With storylines ranging from bedwetting, to growing old; from a household plagued by Elvis, to a child’s adventure with a robotic pig; and from homeless artists on Brighton beach, to the dying art of hand-painted advertisements in New York City, Rushes Soho Shorts presents an eclectic body of work. Audience members will be able to vote for an Audience Award at screenings, which will be presented at the Awards Ceremony at the end of the festival.
The festival highlights:
- BAFTA Short Filmmakers Market… Rushes Soho Shorts and BAFTA are hosting a day of screenings, discussions and seminars highlighting all aspects of film production, with a focus on short format work on Sunday 25th July.
- Flicker Alley Street Party… Over a century ago Cecil Court was home to the early British film industry; now it is known worldwide for its independent, knowledgeable shop owners. As part of the Cecil Court Summer Festival, many of these shops will be adorning their windows with displays invoking its cinematic past. There will be lectures, screenings of experimental short films, and a recreation of an early film screening with live musical accompaniment from pianist John Sweeney.
- Soho Film Lab Seminars… Experienced film-makers feedback their views on pitching, editing, grading, VFX, 3D and Sound Production in a range of free weekday seminars.
- Apple Store Panels… In collaboration with the APA, ArtHertz, The Documentary Filmmakers Group, Nexus Productions, Radar, Promo News and Directors UK, 6 panel discussions will be held at The Apple Store in Regent Street.
- Guest Programmes… 14 exclusive selections of film screenings including straight 8, Kerry Film Festival, Kerry Film Festival, Shorts Film Festival, Dazzle Films, Brighton University, Bornshorts, Best of Boroughs, Dorset Cereals and many more.